UK coronavirus circumstances leap by almost 17,000 as demise toll up by 67

0
2

Nearly 17,000 new coronavirus cases have been recorded across the UK overnight.




© Provided by Evening Standard


The Government said that, as of 9am on Sunday, a further 16,982 lab-confirmed cases of Covid-19 had been confirmed.

It brings the total number of infections reported since the start of the pandemic to 722,409.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health (DHSC) said a further 67 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for the disease, bringing the official death toll to 43,646.

However, separate figures published by the Office for National Statistics show there have now been more than 58,500 deaths registered in the UK where the virus was mentioned on the death certificate.

It comes as Britain’s hospital death toll rose by 69 – the biggest increase on a Sunday since early June.

Hospital fatalities are reported separately from the DHSC figures, which is why there is a discrepancy in the two numbers.

Of today’s confirmed deaths among patients, 61 were recorded in England, five in Northern Ireland, three in Wales recorded and none in Scotland.

Video: Fall Surge of COVD-19 Has Arrived, Doctors Say (Cover Video)

Fall Surge of COVD-19 Has Arrived, Doctors Say

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

It is the largest jump on a Sunday since 77 deaths were reported on June 7.

It is also almost double last Sunday’s figure when 35 fatalities were confirmed.

Separate data shows there were 4,974 Covid-19 patients in hospital in England on Sunday –up from 3,451 a week ago.

Of these, 503 were in ventilation beds, up from 401 last week.

A total of 632 patients with the virus were admitted to hospitals in England on Friday, compared with 544 a week earlier.

It comes as Boris Johnson faces mounting pressure to impose a short national lockdown known as a “circuit-breaker”.

Professor Jeremy Farrar, of the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage) said it is “never too late” to impose a temporary national shutdown.

However, he stressed, the best time to have done this would have been last month when Sage advised it.

Asked on Sky News on Sunday if the Government would take the measure during the October half-term break, Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove replied flatly: “No.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here